This is what I've been trying to figure out ever since I was hired. Of course, there was the job description that outlined my responsibilities. And all the information from our tech. dept, and my new principal. And the AMAZING school - full of SMARTboards, handheld scanners, printers, ePads, laptops, projectors, elmos - and an equally AMAZING staff! But this is a brand new position for my system - and I'm the first for an individual school - so I didn't really have anything to go by. So, I turned to the internet - see links below - for inspiration from some amazing tech people out there who are willing to share tons of "good stuff" that they've figured out along the way. My new job description is heavy on "working with the teachers", and "researching technology purchases" which I love to do, but I love working with students so much that I wanted to find a way to fit it all in. I really feel that I can't be effective if I'm not putting to use what I'm "preaching", so I don't ever want to lose that classroom connection. When I was in the classroom, it was very frustrating to be told what to do by someone who had never been in the classroom or had been out so long they'd forgotten what it was like out there in the "real world". Some things sound great on paper and in books, but in the actual classroom they just don't work! I never want to suggest things to teachers that I haven't tried out myself WITH actual students! So I began to look at blogs to see how others make it work. I finally - after two weeks of juggling classroom schedules, etc. - came up with a great plan. I have blocks of time to work with students in the computer lab to carry out lessons that integrate technology into curriculum. Teachers plan the lesson, fill out a SIMPLE (objective, activity, assessment) lesson plan form, and I then do the research necessary to carry out the lesson. I also have blocks of time to work with teachers and students in the classroom. The challenge was finding blocks of time when students weren't gone to PE, lunch, music, etc. I have a calendar on our local drive at school so teachers can sign up. But nobody signed up this week, so I've got to get out there and recruit I suppose! This is so new to everybody. I have also set aside one day a month for each class to come to a "technology special" in the lab for a lesson I plan. I am most excited about this because every great thing I read about I plan to try out during my technology specials. I hope this will keep our school on the "cutting edge" of things! I also have time in the day to research and put together my weekly newsletter "Wednesday Webspiration" full of tech tips/ideas/websites, as well as administrative type duties related to technology. I feel like the luckiest person in the world because I love my job so much! Up next is developing a school broadcast news program. I can hardly wait to get started on that project!!
Links:
http://www.forsyth.k12.ga.us/site/Default.aspx?PageID=1526
http://www.coolcatteacher.blogspot.com
http://ambercoggin.wordpress.com

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment!