Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Wonderful Wordles!

I have planned a lesson for my 6th graders using wordle.net. I am obsessed with word clouds! I also love tagxedo.com, and plan to introduce that next time. I sure hope the kids love this as much as I do. I love something that taps into their own individuality and creativity. This week, we are just going to play around with it, then I plan to give them an assignment to upload to Edmodo. I am learning to use Edmodo with our upper grades, so I'm excited to see how this is going to turn out. I will have them save the wordle by doing shift/print screen, open paint, paste, crop, and save as .png file in their picture folder. They will then upload to Edomodo, and I will create a smilebox to share here when we are finished. I have found a lot of info. and bookmarked at diigo. I also found a diigo wordle group to join - see right side bar for more info. I have been reading that teachers take text from a story, article, poem, etc. and copy and paste to form a wordle. They then have the kids try and decide the main idea/point. I decided to try this and I copied the text from The Cat in the Hat that I found HERE and pasted it into a wordle. I think it will be fun to try and figure out the book title from the wordle!  I also found a neat video that shows how a teacher used a wordle to decorate her classroom wall, click HERE to see!



Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I love wordle -- you might wish to check out http://projectsbyjen.com/GTW where I post a wordle every single day for students to guess what it is about.

    and feel free to visit my More Than Wordles page to grab a cheatsheet for next time with font options!
    http://jlwagner.pbworks.com/w/page/24193137/MoreThanWordles

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!